ERIC WONG LEH SHUEN
LLB (Hons) University College London
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn), England
T: 65 6230 1198
Eric graduated with an LL.B (Hons.) from University College London in 2010 and was called to the Bar of England and Wales by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn in 2011. He passed the English Bar examinations with an overall grade of `Outstanding’. Eric is also an accredited civil and commercial mediator of the UK ADR Group (2011) and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2014.
Eric handles a range of commercial litigation and arbitration matters and has experience dealing with shipping and admiralty disputes, international trade disputes, charterparty disputes, carriage of goods by sea disputes, ship sale and shipbuilding disputes, marine and non-marine insurance claims, crew claims, bunker disputes and general commercial disputes.
As to non-contentious matters, Eric has advised on and/or drafted various commercial documents, including but not limited to, standard form bills of lading, bunker sale and purchase agreements, ship sale and shipbuilding contracts, and agency agreements.
2010 – LLB (Hons), University College London
2014 – Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court
- Representing an owner, a bareboat charterer and a time charterer to successfully obtain a Singapore Court order to set up a limitation fund by way of a P&I Club letter of undertaking. This is the first case in Singapore in which a limitation fund (of about S$6 million) was set up by way of a P&I Club letter of undertaking.
- Representing a global bunker trader in respect of its arrest of a VLCC in Singapore, its claim for unpaid bunkers and its intervention in the mortgagee’s court action in the Singapore Court.
- Representing a major container liner and its P&I Club in their recovery claim against a shipowner under the charterparty and in defending against claims arising out of the toppling and falling overboard of more than 80 containers, with a total claim value of S$2.6 million.
- Representing a general cargo liner operator and its P&I Club in their recovery claim against the shipowner and in defending against claims from the sub-charterer and the cargo interests arising out of the loss of and/or damage to cargo stowed on deck and in the cargo hold, with a total claim value of around S$ 4.7million.
- Representing a container liner and its P&I Club in respect of their recovery claims under a joint service agreement against the other shipping lines and their defence against the cargo claims received arising out of a fire onboard ship caused by the mis-declaration of dangerous cargo.
- Representing a leading bank and an international trade credit insurer in an arbitration arising out of a coal sale and purchase dispute, with a total claim value in excess of US$ 1.7 million.
- Representing a shipowner and its P&I Club in defending against claims from charterers, subcharterers and cargo interests arising out of damage to cargo allegedly caused by seawater ingress.
- Advising a major tanker owner in respect of the issues arising out of the shipyards’ failure to deliver three new-builds, with a total contract value of about US$ 18 million.
- Representing a shipowner in respect of its claim under a hull and machinery insurance policy against an insurer arising out of the breakage of a ship’s engine shaft.
- Advising a wholesale chemicals and fertiliser distributer in respect of its obligations relating to the delivery of goods and documents under CFR and FOB contracts and the bank’s rights to refuse payment under a letter of credit.
Awards, Memberships or Publications
- Buchanan Prize (2011) – The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Joan Denning Prize (2011) – The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Best Overall UK Law Student Award (2011) – The UK and Eire Malaysian Law Students Union
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of Singapore Volume 3 (2016 Reissue) on Carriers
- Contributing Author to the Lexis Practical Guidance Singapore – Commercial Module (2016)
- Co-author of “Crew Death: An Overview From a Singapore Perspective” in The Standard Club’s Personal Injury Bulletin of April 2016
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law