LLB (Hons) National University of Singapore
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
T: 65 6230 1168
Haireez’s first litigation concerned a claim in excess of US$1million relating to the sale and purchase of iron ore fines. Since then, he has amassed a wealth of experience in all aspects of dispute resolution and has appeared as counsel before the Singapore Courts and various arbitration tribunals. His contentious areas of practice now encompass a broad range of commercial, shipping, international trade and oil & gas matters.
His interest in commercial & shipping law has earned him an award as the best student in shipping law related subjects in National University of Singapore and is one of the principal reasons behind his pursuit of a practice of law in these fields.
Since his admission as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2011, Haireez has been described by his clients as “definitely a fast rising star to watch” and “worthy of being classed among the best young international lawyers”.
Among other things, he has assisted Mr Haridass Ajaib in a commercial dispute that escalated to the Singapore Court of Appeal resulting in a judgment in his clients’ favour, widely recognized as the leading authority on the tort of conspiracy by unlawful means.
As part of his experience in managing cross-border disputes, he is also fortunate to have worked with some of the most world-renowned solicitors and barristers in a wide spectrum of jurisdictions including UK, USA, China, India, Indonesia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Panama, Nigeria and Ethiopia.
Haireez also has experience in non-contentious and advisory work. He is sought after by banks, financial institutions and commodity traders to advise on trade and commodity financing products, letters of credit, security instruments and international sale and supply agreements.
2010 – LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
2011 – Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court
- Acted for a leading shipyard in a dispute arising out of a contract for the construction and sale of an Offshore Semi-Submersible Drilling Unit of with a contract value in excess of US$500 million
- Acting for another leading shipyard in a dispute concerning the construction and sale of a Jack Up Drilling Rig with a contract value in excess of US$200 million
- Acted in a dispute arising out of a contract for the repair and conversion of an Aframax Motor Tanker into a Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading Unit with a contract value in excess of US$250 million
- Acted in a dispute against an engine dealer relating to the performance capacity of fire pump engines for a claim in excess of SG$ 14million before the Singapore High Court
- Assisted in successfully resisting an appeal over a claim based on unlawful means conspiracy before the Singapore Court of Appeal ; EFT HOLDINGS v MARINTEKNIK SHIPBUILDERS (S) PTE LTD  1 SLR 860
- Appeared before a Tribunal of three in London on behalf of a leading commodities trading house in a consolidated arbitration under the LMAA Rules relating to a dispute on the quality of Indonesian coking coal for a claim in excess of USD 10million
- Appeared before a Tribunal in India on behalf of a leading commodities trading house in an arbitration under the ICC Rules relating to a dispute over a cargo of Wire Rod Coils and Rebars in excess of USD 3.5 million
- Lead Counsel before an Emergency Arbitrator in a successful application to obtain a prohibitory injunction to prohibit the counterparty from selling or disposing iron ore extracted from a particular concession area in India
- Lead Counsel before the Singapore High Court in a successful application to resist payment under a Counter Guarantee issued by a major local bank on the grounds of unconscionability
- Lead Counsel in a dispute over quality of a cargo of urea shipped from Qingdao for discharge at Lagos under the SIAC Rules
- Lead Counsel in a dispute over sale and purchase of gas oil between two oil trading companies before the Singapore High Court
- Lead Counsel in successfully applying for an injunction against payment out under a letter of credit against presentation of a fraudulent bill of lading before the Singapore High Court
- Lead Counsel in successfully resisting a bank’s application to place a yard under judicial management
- Instructed in a dispute arising out of a drilling contract for the provision of a jack-up and associated services in a concession area over a claim in excess of US$20 million
- Instructed by a major crude & trading oil State-owned company to recover a claim of about US$12 million
- Instructed by a State-owned ship-owner in a dispute relating to the discharge of gas oil in Mukalla, Yemen
- Assisted a major oil trading company to recover more than USD 5.5 million against a company in liquidation
- Instructed in a dispute relating to a contract of affreightment on the Americanised Welsh Coal Charter form involving a total of 90 shipments for a period of 5 years
- Acted for a contracting party in a tri-partite Memorandum of Agreement in relation to the dredging of a river and the extraction of sand which was then to be sold
- Acted for a Buyer which was coerced into increasing the agreed sale price of coal and successfully obtained an award to rescind the sale agreement obtained under economic duress
Awards, Memberships or Publications
- Recipient, M Karthigesu Memorial Gold Medal & Prize
- (Best Student in Shipping Law related subjects in NUS for academic year 2009/2010)
- Contributor to Singapore Nautical Institute (SNI)’s publication “Fairway: Journal for the Mariner” in 2012: “Perspectives on the Singapore Ship Sale Form”
- Contributor to Singapore Nautical Institute (SNI)’s publication “Fairway: Journal for the Mariner” in 2014: “Perspectives on the Singapore Ship Sale Form”
- Contributor to the Lexis Practical Guidance Singapore – Commercial Module
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law